Exterior photo of Law Offices of Harris & Literski front entrance


When parents are divorced or unmarried, they need to be especially conscious of how one parent’s decisions will impact the other parent and minor children. This is particularly true when one parent wants or needs to move away. If you are facing the issue of parental relocation, having an experienced family law attorney to advise and represent you can make this transition easier.
The Law Offices of Harris & Literski in Brighton, Michigan, has been helping families deal with parental relocation and other family law issues for decades. We understand the urgency of this issue from both sides, and we pride ourselves on our ability to help our clients achieve their goals.
Whether you need to move out of the area with your children or you oppose such a move, contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss how we can help you.

Parents Moving Out Of State Or More Than 100 Miles Away Within Michigan

Whether or not you have primary custody of your children, a move will affect your parenting time. If you are considering moving more than 100 miles from where your child lives, you must get permission from the Michigan family court — which is technically a modification to your child custody and parenting order.

Even when both parents agree about the move, you still need to petition the court for the modification. An official request is mandatory in parental relocation cases. In addition, only a court can make changes to your court order. If you don’t get the order changed officially, you could be held in contempt of court.
If you need to move away, but your child’s other parent opposes it, you can seek a child custody modification from the court that will allow you to move. We can help you file a petition to show that the move will be in the best interests of your child, which is the standard the court will use when evaluating whether to grant your parental relocation request.
Likewise, if the other parent is planning to move against your wishes, we can represent you in opposing the move.
Our lawyers can also assist you with a child support modification to reflect changed conditions resulting from the move.

Change Of School District

If one parent is considering moving to another school district, even if it is less than 100 miles away, it often sparks controversy. Although you do not automatically need court approval if the move is less than 100 miles, the nonmoving parent can ask the court to block the move because it could be disruptive for the child. The court will carefully evaluate if the move is in the child’s best interests, considering issues such as school continuity, school quality, opportunities for extracurricular activities, relationships with friends and teachers, and any potential for harm to the child’s relationship with the nonmoving parent.
Whether you are the parent who wants to move to the new school district or the parent who opposes it, we can help you present your best argument for what would be in your child’s best interests. Our goal is always to help you explore all available options and craft creative solutions that meet your needs and those of your children.

Working Out The Parenting Plan

Get The Straightforward Answers You Need To Make Sound Decisions
If you have questions about parental relocation, contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.